Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian


I know it was a couple of weeks ago when we were discussing Native Americans, but I stumbled across a book the other day worth mentioning. I pretty much live at Barnes and Nobel and the other day I came across a book called: The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian. I then realized it was by Sherman Alexie. I read his book "Indian Killer" over the summer and absolutely loved him. "The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian" is Alexie's first book for young adults. The book is about this boy named Junior who loves to draw cartoons. He leaves his school on the Spokane Indian Reservation and attends an all-white high school. There's talk about the school's mascot, like when we read "Heart of a Chief" and I truly believe this book would be a good book to keep in mind for next year's class. I did like how "Heart of a Chief" was not about a boy in search of his identity, torn between two worlds, like many Native American novels. And although this book by Alexie discusses a Native American boy's attempts to break away from his heritage, and the struggle he has with his own identity, the story is based on a lot of Alexie's own experiences, so it has a very realistic feel. I'm really excited to read this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment