Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Insider/Outsider debate

The "insider/outsider" debate is a very interesting debate, and honestly I don't know what side of the debate I stand on. I can see both sides. I would hate to limit writers and researchers by saying, you aren't white enough, black enough, female enough, gay enough, or so forth, so you can't write about a certain topic. How can I write a book about the troubles of being a certain thing, if I have never experienced first hand any of those troubles? How could I write about the inner turmoil or relief I felt coming out to my parents, if I never did that? How could I write about the pain my family still suffers due to the slavery imposed on them generations ago, if no one in my family was ever a slave? I really don't think I could do the literature justice.

At the same time, if I have done my research and I have talked to people who have experienced certain turmoils or victories, why can't a write about being white, black, female, gay, or so forth? Maybe I AM white but I grew up near a reservation, I experienced and saw first hand the turmoil of those living on the Native American reservation. I probably could write a very insightful piece of literature about living on a reservation, maybe even more so than someone who is Native American but did not grow up on a reservation. But I bet many members of society would critique me and say I am not Native American enough to be writing about Native Americans.

But how often does an outsider writer have this sort of background? Usually the outsider writer has an academic background, and has(hopefully)done research via books or interviews. Is this enough? Can this really capture the essence of someone's history, struggle, victory? In most cases.. no. Does this mean that this sort of literature serves no purpose? No. Outsider literature can still educate and inform its readers, just not to the degree insider literature can.

I guess I support outsider literature/perspective, but I strongly feel there is great need for insider perspective in literature.

Like I said, there is so much to consider when discussing this topic. I can see why it is so controversial.

No comments:

Post a Comment